Thursday, November 5, 2009

Dead Poet's Society: A Reaction

The first time I saw this movie was way back in college when my professor in literature required us to analyze it using some literary approaches. I never forgot the movie since then not because of its handsome actors but because of it's impact on me as an education student back then.

The story is about the influence of an eccentric English teacher, John Keating (Robin Williams) towards his students at Welton Academy, an all-boys preparatory school that still imposes pragmatic education. Keating introduces his students to poetry, and his free-thinking attitude and the liberating philosophies of the authors he introduces to his class have a profound effect on his students, especially Todd, who would like to be a writer; Neil, who dreams of being an actor, despite the objections of his father; Knox, a hopeless romantic; Steven, an intellectual who learns to use his heart as well as his head; Charlie, who begins to lose his blasé attitude; unconventional Gerard; and practical Richard. Keating urges his students to seize the day and live their lives boldly; but when this philosophy leads to an unexpected tragedy, headmaster Mr. Nolan fires Keating, and his students leap to his defense.

After watching the movie, I wondered how many teachers are applying the teaching methods that Keating employs. And if they do employ such methods, will the students in our country be as responsive and as imaginative as the students he had. On a personal note, I even asked myself whether, to some degree, I resemble Keating's attitude towards teaching and life. Nonetheless, what's important is, I know for sure that I give my best and I try to inspire my students to become better individuals. I may not have Keating's unconventional approach to teaching but I have his view in life - to make every moment count...Carpe Diem! (Seize the day!)

Moreover, I particularly like one line from the movie "We are food for worms…every one of us is going to stop breathing, turn cold and die”.This implies that life is short. And since it is short, we have to live it to the fullest and we must make our lives extraordinary by leaving a lasting legacy to other people. After all, teaching is not merely teaching literally but inspiring students to explore their potentials and use it to inspire others as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment